Feb 9, 2013

Into Silence


DUSK IN THE FOREST by Roberto Nieto


When I was a girl I went to an overnight camp in northern Michigan. Year after year I went, until I was too old to go back. I considered applying to be a counselor, but never did, and now the camp has shifted locations and doesn't look at all like it used to when I was younger.

But back then, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. It taught me reinvention and self-discovery. Camp brought me experiences that were beyond any I would have imagined for myself -- love, heartbreak, travel, adventure, laughter, leadership, silliness, restfulness -- camp helped me become more than I was.

I remember one night standing a ways outside of my cabin. I was one of the older campers by this time, and we had a smaller cabin with more freedom and privileges than others. It was late at night, past the final bell, and the cabins had gone dark. They were spread out across a large wooded area, so far I couldn't even see them all. But on those nights when the air was clear, you could hear everything. And those were the nights I would sing.
"Amazing grace… how sweet the sound…." 
I stood on a small bridge, maybe three large steps across, and sang into the night. It wasn't always the same song.
"Scarlet ribbons… scarlet ribbons… for her hair…" 
But I always sang. And looking back I don't know why I was never nervous or anxious. We were a fairly large camp, maybe a hundred heads laid down those nights. But when I sang it was just me, on a bridge over a stream, singing to the night.

I miss that girl. That girl I was on those early evening nights. Those camp years blur together; I don't even remember how old she was, much less how she managed those moments. How she always found a song, always sang into the silence.

One of my 31 things this year is to spend a whole day in silence. To be honest, I haven't given that one much thought since I first put it on my list. Even now, I'm surprised to be writing about it. But I think that the girl might have added that one to the list. One day for us to be together on a bridge over a stream, listening to the wind while the lights go out.

Life will always have an audience. Music and ministry have taught me that. But the moments that change us, that carry us from one shore to the next, are the times when we speak into the silence first. Standing on a stage, in an airport, at a chalkboard, under a spotlight, in the beat of silence--that is where the discovery happens, where we reinvent ourselves.

What memories from your childhood do you carry with you? What experiences helped you become who you are today? 

Leave a comment below - I read every one!  You can let me know that you're reading by clicking on the link to the left that says "Join this site" or by entering your email.

2 comments:

  1. I recall sitting on the living room floor staring at a math worksheet. I was almost 10 years old, in my first week of 5th grade and the double-digit multiplication on the worksheet made absolutely no sense to me. This feeling of not understanding school work was one that I had NEVER encountered before. To provide some context, I had just been double promoted. This is a nice way of saying I was made to leave all my friends and my twin brother in the 4th grade classroom on the 1st floor while I carried my Lisa Frank pencils up to the 2nd floor and into the 5th grade classroom. The 5th grade classroom...the one full of kids who knew how to do double-digit multiplication.
    Back to the living room floor. I sat there for what felt like hours pretending I knew how to work the problem...all the while not even knowing what words to use to explain that I didn't know the answer...I didn't even know where to start. At that moment, I learned that there will be times when not only do I not know what the end is supposed to look like, but I will have times when I don't even know how to start. Feeling trapped in the inertia that was my own mind was and is a terrifying feeling to this day. I try to think about that moment when I'm completely overwhelmed with life and most times I am able to ask for help. Most times I'm able to explain that I'm so confused I don't even know where to begin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I happen to be having an "overwhelmed with life" kind of day today as a matter of fact... I was glad to read this and get a little perspective. Thanks :-)

      Delete