Jan 29, 2013

January ...a 31 Things update.

This year, I've decided to challenge myself to complete a list of 31 things that will challenge, inspire, and renew me. You can find the complete list here

I hope you'll let me know that you're following my adventures by clicking on the link to the left that says "Join this site" or by entering your email. I appreciate having you here and always read every comment!


One of the goals around the "31 Things..." list is to help me re-engage with my blog; to give me a few things to talk about and get me back into the writing routine.

You have no way of knowing this (so you'll have to take my word for it) but I've been writing a lot lately without posting it. Nothing is quite finished... nothing is quite good enough... I can't make the point I want to, or I follow some tangential thought until it doesn't make any sense any more.

But in an effort to live out both the spirit and the details of my "31 Things..." I thought I could at least give you an update on how the list is going!

Here are a few areas where I've made some strides:

#3. Make one new recipe each month
January's recipe was Broccoli/Mushroom Casserole from the "Moosewood Cookbook" by Mollie Katzen. My lovely friend Meredith (who has a few more culinary "gifts" than I) gave me this for my birthday TWO years ago and I finally put it to excellent use. 

One of the best dishes I've ever made, and one of the best casseroles I've ever tasted. Lots of fresh veggies, "healthy" sauce using sour cream & cottage cheese (all things are relative folks), and lots of yummy leftovers.

Not sure what next month's dish will be... but I know I'll be coming back to the Moosewood Cookbook again before the year is up.

#7. Read 12 "real" books
I just finished "Daring Greatly" by Brene Brown, and if we've had a conversation even once in the last few weeks, you probably already knew that. I loved this book. I've been talking about it with everyone I know. One way I've described it is that it is filled with a truth that you realize you have always known; and yet no one else is saying it! 

This book has helped me to think more clearly about my own sense of vulnerability and has given me some tools to live more fully in the moment -- even when the moment feels really scary, and I'd rather be defensive or hide away.

I'm sure I will be writing more about this book in future writings. More books up for consideration are "Tattoos on the Heart" by Gregory Boyle and "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin.

#26. Grow my savings account
Late last year, right before I moved to Redford, I re-opened a savings account and starting contributing small amounts. Up until a couple years ago, I was spending a lot of energy at getting out of debt, which I did (yay!) But I wasn't giving any attention to a savings account.

My friends Jeff & Bridget introduced me to a savings plan they've recently adapted called the 52 Week Money Challenge. Each week you put away that week's amount in $$$. (Ex: Week One = $1, Week 18 = $18, Week 43 = $43) Each week's amount is added to the amount already collected, and at the end of 52 weeks, you will have accumulated $1,378.

It's a pretty pain-free start... but check in with me around November and we'll see how I'm feeling then. ;-)

Those are the three areas I have actually "done" something, but I already have plans to fulfill #4. Perform a poetry open mic; and #25. Watch a film at the Detroit Film Theatre; as well as offers for a few more! 


How are your goals for the new year going as we wrap up the first month? Are you keeping your resolutions, or thinking about re-starting again?

4 comments:

  1. Random thoughts:
    - The savings idea is brilliant. I am flummoxed with my savings right now, so that might be the way to go.
    - I need to read Daring Greatly.
    - I too made a new dish this year! I bought the "cajun"-flavored Ramen Noodles. They were delectable. ;)

    The 31 things idea is ambitious and inspirational. I'm excited to follow it and probably exercise vicarious ambition through it. ;) Hope everything's going well!!

    - Ryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ryan! All is indeed going well, and I'm discovering new ways of being in ministry and being patient with all the "new-ness".

      I hope you'll think about coming up with a list of some things you might try this year too!

      Delete
  2. Kudos to you for chipping away at the list. Before the year is over, you will have grown as a person for having done many new things. I have a wonderful recipe I'm going to give you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so Sandy! I'm already doing a lot of growing as part of this new community. I will happily accept your new recipe!! :-)

      Delete