Jul 15, 2008

July 8 - 9, 2008 -- Onward!

I just said to Stephanie that I should probably update my journal now that things are good…. Otherwise, it’s sure to look like everything is awful and horrible. We’re both very un-mission-trippy, sitting here on our laptop computers, accessing wireless internet in our dorm-style “hotel” room. This is a new location after leaving our apartment in Krakow—with its IKEA furnished rooms and our own bathroom.

Actually, none of us actually knows where we are. Somewhere outside of Zakopane is our best guess. We arrived yesterday afternoon a couple hours before the Polish campers did and got our bearings, etc. Yesterday was a pretty stress-free day since we weren’t really responsible for anything. Today we started our “teaching” responsibilities… although even that hasn’t really begun. We decided to start out as one large group and held a variety of activities during our time together. Altogether the kids crafted and reasoned and finished:

Puzzle cross – favorite things were written on each piece, with their name in the center. (Stephanie)
Name acrostic – each letter in their first name (or nickname) was used in words to describe themselves somehow. (Katy)
Information card – a basic card with name, city, family info., etc. (Mark)
Photos and frames – each student had a photo taken and then decorated a foam picture frame. (Allan)
Tie-dye shirts – we provided plain white tees to be tie-dyed using dye in squirt bottles, outside of course. (Becky)
Assessments – a necessary process, campers were interviewed and graded on their English language ability in order to be put into appropriate class groupings. (Adam & Karen)

I was really happy with the “station” I covered because I got a really good idea of who the kids are. Their grasp of English varies from person to person a great deal. Surprisingly, one side effect of being overseas and with ESL speakers is that I find myself often thinking in French or Italian. I didn’t expect that to be an issue, but as my empathy kicks in I’m losing some of my English.

Truth be told, I kind of like it because it means I still have a lot of those languages in me. All other traveling I’ve done has involved trying to learn the language of where I am. This is the first experience of trying NOT to use the native language of a country. I will probably digest that issue some more and write about it later, because from the beginning I have had some reservations. It is more a political issue than a church mission issue, but it bothers me to come into another culture with the opinion that our “mission” is to put our language and culture upon them. Underlying all of it seems to be this idea that to succeed in life, no matter where in the world you are from, you should be at least able to conform to American standards, practices and culture. Oh well. So much for writing about it later.

Even with that, I am looking forward to my time here. If it were just to have a break from the craziness of work, it would be worthwhile. After today, I am sure that it will be much more than just a break. I am beginning to feel that I have unique things to offer to some of these kids. Because of my own struggles learning different languages and because I have communicated with ESL speakers often throughout my life. I am excited to see what becomes of my time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment